Who Are We and What Do We Do
The New York State Movers and Warehousemen Association ranks as one of the nation's oldest and most prestigious associations serving the moving and storage industry. It does not rely upon its longevity for success but instead maintains a pro-active, progressive, and forward-looking policy that makes it one of the industry's most effective advocates.
Made up of a dynamic group of businessmen and women, representing all regions of New York State and all segments of the moving and storage industry, the Association’s Board of Directors meets on a regular basis to further the Association's goal, which is to advance and improve the moving and storage industry in New York State for all members and their customers.
The Association has developed specific committees to tackle problems that affect our industry throughout the state and to develop ways and means for the association to continue serving its members. All committees are chaired by volunteers who work hard to insure the Association and its members’ best interests are looked after. Currently, the committees are Executive, Nominating, Finance and MOVEPAC, and Special Projects, Constitution, By-Laws & Organization, Grievance Assistance Program, Legislative and Regulatory, Convention, Membership, and Marketing & Public Relations.
The State Association also has a very active professional staff led by Executive Director William H. Whalen IV. Mr. Whalen handles all the day-to-day operations of the Association and works directly with the President and Board of Directors. Prior to being our Executive Director Bill was the Operations Manager of a van line agency for 14 years and has a great understanding of the moving and storage industry. The Association has a full-time Governmental Affairs firm, Harter, Secrest & Emery, who are its "Eyes and Ears" in Albany. The Association’s legal counsel, George Wright, of Wright & Associates, specializes in household goods moving & storage, trade association matters, and anti-trust issues. Rounding out our professional staff is an accounting firm which handles our year round accounting functions.
What are some of the things the Association does that affects the success of movers in New York State?
- Publication of Movers News - one of the oldest state association publications in the United States. Hosting of educational seminars for movers such as Certified Claims Seminars, Department of Transportation Compliance Seminars and our annual state convention & trade show that hosts speakers who provide information on topics of interest to our industry. The Association also co-sponsors annual regional meetings each spring, bringing the Association to the movers’ own back yard.
- Maintains the New York State Movers and Warehousemen's Association's web site, www.newyorkstatemovers.com. Not only can the site be used by consumers to find a certified mover in New York State, our system also generates quality leads for our members. Other areas of the web site provide education and information to assist the consumer with the selection of their mover, as well as current Association events, important Industry news and many other useful tools for movers, suppliers and customers.
- Lower worker's compensation insurance rates when members use the New York State Movers and Warehousemen's Safety Group # 251 program with the Lovell Safety Management Company.
- Convention and Trade Show - Our format for all conventions consists of general business sessions on Friday and Saturday mornings. Afternoons are devoted to fun with recreational activities for the whole family. Each year the program is designed to benefit all that attend. Our trade show consists of representatives from vendors who service our industry in New York. Each convention is packed with fun activities such as golf, tennis, dancing, and many leisure-time activities and programs.
- Maintains a high profile with the NYS Department of Transportation. Department members are regular attendees and speakers at our state convention & regional meetings.
New York State Movers & Warehousemen's Association is the acknowledged leader and liaison of New York's Moving & Storage Industry. For over 90 years this association has been working hard for the benefit of New York’s moving companies, suppliers and the general public.
Who do the State, Federal & City governmental agencies turn to when they want to communicate with the New York State Moving and Storage Industry?
NEW YORK STATE MOVERS & WAREHOUSEMEN'S ASSOCIATION ! ! THAT'S WHO ! ! !